DJ Kicks is one of the longest serving compilation series within dance music, releasing its first mix in 1995 when the idea of a commercially marketed mix was the thing of dreams. Since then the DJ Kicks series has drawn influence from all facets of electronic music with mixes from the likes of Stereo MC’s, The Glimmers, Tiga, Four Tet, Hot Chip, Chromeo and Scuba to name a few. However every man and his blog has a mix series these days so why should we care about ‘DJ Kicks’…
DJ Kicks like its peers the Essential Mix and the Fabric Live series has stood the test of time through a combination of quality control, big names and exciting content. In particular every mix has to include an exclusive unreleased track from the selected artist. In 2006 !K7 the label behind DJ Kicks launched the ‘Exclusives’ Compilation to gather all these tracks together and present them in an unmixed format. This proved to be very popular and consequently the second in this series is due to be released early next month, featuring tracks from Four Tet, Scuba, Gold Panda, Kode 9, and Chromeo among others.
01. Four Tet – Pockets
02. Henrik Schwarz – Imagination Limitation
03. Hot Chip – My Piano
04. Chromeo – I Can’t Tell You Why
05. The Juan MacLean – Feel So Good
06. Holden – Triangle Folds
07. Kode9 – You Don’t Wash (Dub)
08. Apparat – Sayulita
09. Soul Clap – Lonely C feat. Charles Levine
10. Motor City Drum Ensemble – L.O.V.E.
11. Scuba – M.A.R.S.
12. Gold Panda – An Iceberg Hurled Northward Through Clouds
13. Photek & Kuru – Fountainhead