With all this new, interesting bass music flying around it’s nice to see that Fabric still have time to push the staple of electronic music: House. Jamie Jones‘ contribution to the Fabric series is just that.
Morph into fabric 59: Jamie Jones
The first half of the mix is a smooth journey through the sparser, less sensational side of the genre. Chugging bass synths, kicks and cymbals link up for hypnotic grooves, punctuated with vocal loops and sporadic stabs. It’s a mesmerising listen, the subtlety of the tracks and the mixing manages to convey a greater sense of melody, space and movement than the simplistic nature of the components would suggest. The mix ebbs and flows thanks to Jones’ careful track selection with the tiniest change becoming a real feature. The addition of a new hat increases the pace, a synth’s modulation provides the progression and gently increased reverb ramps up the intensity. It’s all very restrained.
The second half of the mix is a releasing of inhibitions. Crazy P’s ‘Open For Service’ brings things to a halt, adding some funk and building to Holy Ghost‘s remix of Panthers. Jones’ has succeeded in reigning everything in so tight that by the time ‘Goblin City’s guitar solo arrives it bursts into the mix like a blinding beam of sunlight through thick cloud. From here he rounds out the mix with some lighter tracks including ‘The Lows’ – one of his own productions peppered throughout in various guises. Still riding high on guitar-solo induced seratonin, the continual vocal and muted strings of soho808‘s ‘Get Up Disco’ saturates the senses, whilst final track ‘Fear Of Numbers’ further bolsters the melody with thick chords that gradually fade away.
Jamie Jones really impresses by providing a thoughtful mix that is also appealing to the dancefloor. Those ‘in the know’ will appreciate his inclusion of classics like Felix Da Housecat‘s ‘Hollywood Madame’, whilst newer fans of electronic music will relate to Metronomy‘s Remix of Sebastien Tellier and Jones’ own productions.
Due to the fire in PIAS’ warehouse we think the release date has been delayed until 22/08/11 but you can buy/pre-order it at Ape or Fabric.
1. Hot Natured feat. Ali Love & Kenny Glasgow – Time Intro [Hot Creations]
2. Sebastien Tellier – La Ritournelle (Metronomy Mix) [Record Makers / Lucky Number]
3. James Teej – Don’t Appear (Redux) [My Favorite Robot]
4. Coat Of Arms – Is This Something (Jones Fly Edit) [Futureboogie]
5. White Lions – DePalma [My Favorite Robot]
6. Karen Pollack – You Can’t Touch Me (Murk Remix – Jones Fly Edit) [Slip N Slide]
7. Cajmere feat. Jamie Principle – God Sent (#10) [Cajual]
8. Felix Da Housecat – Madame Hollywood [Rude Photo]
9. Waifs & Strays – Body Shiver [Hot Creations]
10. jennygoesdirty – Amoureux Solitaires [Kill The DJ]
11. Hot Natured feat. Ali Love & Kenny Glasgow – Assimilation [Hot Creations]
12. Crazy P – Open For Service [2020Vision]
13. Panthers – Goblin City (Holy Ghost Mix) [Warner]
14. Oppenheimer Analysis – The Devil’s Dancers [Minimal Wave]
15. Jamie Jones – The Lows [Crosstown Rebels]
16. soho808 – Get Up Disco [Dikso]
17. Footprintz – Fear Of Numbers [Visionquest]